6/09/2008

Mountain Resort


My weekend began with drastic changes in plans. Instead of heading to Lao on Friday morning, I went to a mountain resort with all my school faculty and administration. As in, my school closed on Friday!

As I mentioned before, my school here is undergoing a huge change. The new principal has great visions for improving the school and I think the trip had two main goals: First, to communicate with school staff, neighboring schools' administration, and appropriate authorities about planning for the change (well, I couldn't really participate in this one). Second, make an opportunity for everyone gathered to relax, have fun, and recharge for the hard work ahead.


I think I am at Wiang Wong Kot at a very critical and exciting time. It's really amazing to be part of it. The mountains were breathtaking and I had such a good time. Everyone treats me like family and says, "Oh, Sewon is my beautiful daughter!" or "My little sister Nong Sewon!" This place is so special. I am going to be very sad about leaving Thailand! I promised everyone I'd return and I will! Also, let me add that I sang the Titanic theme song in front of everybody. No kidding! AND I got flowers from all the male teachers, including my school principal! By the way, the skirt I'm wearing was handmade by a minority group that lives in the mountains here. I got it as a present!


We came back Saturday night and all the English-speaking Thai teachers left town so I hungout with my Thai friends who don't really speak any English. We didn't realize how much of a language barrier we had because we've always had the P Wan or P Pui translating for us. Anyway, it turned out pretty fun and absurd. We were communicating in fragments of English, Thai, and Lao words mixed with grunts and gestures. I showed them photos of everyone at home so we could take a break from the rather exhausting conversation. The next day we woke up early to go to the bay to go swimming. Everyone thought I was crazy for only bringing a swimming suit... I had to borrow a t-shirt and long shorts (that's why I'm wearing over sized clothing in the photo)! We also ran into these two girls (well, one girl and one ladyboy) working on promoting some sort of a cell phone service who recognized me from Wiang Wong Kot. They took some photos with me and everyone thought I was a celebrity(?!). Oh Thailand!

I taught three classes today. I'm going to miss my students so much! And uh, I Sang Jingle Bells for my 3-2 class. I have no idea why everyone wants me to sing all the time (or why the requested song is always so strange...jingle bells in 85 degree weather?)! All I know is that Chris Robinson should come here so we can do a Pathetic Fallacy show. P.S. This photo is of my students after they took a bunch of photos of me with their cell phones. I started taking their photo and most of them ran away! They are so cute.

This weekend I'm going to Laos with P. Wan and some Thai teachers! I think they have plans to take me to some other places...I'm really excited. Plus, I'll get to avoid the foreigner price (sometimes I can pass as half Thai). I think everything turned out very well. As for what happened with Alice. I will only say that we had a much-needed long, honest, healthy conversation and I think we can drink some delicious tea together soon. In the meanwhile, we are both happy and comfortable in Thailand and headed home way way soon. Which reminds me, see you all so soon!