5/12/2008

I'm back in Phnom Penh just for the night (mostly because I didn't want to be on a bus for such a long, long time). There is a rooster walking around in the internet cafe. And the internet cafe owner is singing karaoke with her headphones on. It's really endearing and she has a cute voice. She also sells all sorts of handmade bags and scarfs here.

It's funny to be back here. I got off the bus and recognized where I was. I didn't get overwhelmed by the crowd of moto and tuk tuk drivers trying to hassle the bus passengers and I easily negotiated a decent price. But my tuk tuk driver tried to pull some fast moves by suggesting that my hostel was too expensive (I told him it was $5 and he was quiet for a minute) and told me bus ticket to HCMC was hard to get (I purchased it in like 2 seconds through my hostel). And then he told me he wanted to take me to Tuol Sleng. All these tricks don't faze me anymore. And I'm done with tourist traps. Byebye Russian market. What up, Cambodia.

I also bought a Cambodian funk cd or at least what I hope is that. I'll share it with you guys if you are interested! Heading to HCMC super early tomorrow. I hear it's hectic but you know I keep my cool.

I still have questions about what I am supposed to do about beggers--especially small children and disabled beggers. A German guy that I met told me that I should carry candy for the children but I shouldn't give them money because they should be playing outside, not selling things.

The thing about Cambodia that is so different is that places (cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, etc.) that are cited to be cool according to other expats or Lonely Planet have absolutely no Cambodians. The only Cambodians I see in these places are few workers who speak English and drivers who linger outside. My question is: Where do young Cambodians hang out? Why not these places?

No comments: