5/22/2008

I am at this magical place of dinosaurs and mountains! Finally settled down to teach at Wiang Wong Kot High School and it is surrounded by a beautiful mountain called Pu Wiang. I arrived yesterday from Chaiyaphum and woke up early this morning. It is about 10 AM and I have already given a speech in front of the entire school and taught two upperlevel classes.

I am the first foreigner to ever come to this school so I think it's very important for me to leave a positive impression. Everyone is very excited. Lots of giggles and photographs!

My host is another young English teacher named Wan and she is really adorable. She actually moved into another teacher's room to give me her room. We live in the faculty housing located right next to the school and I think about 4 teachers live in one house. The house has four separate rooms and everyone sleeps on the floor. The school especially bought a brand new bed, furniture, appliances, and bedding just for me! They are so nice. The only part that is uncomfortable is that the bathroom is sort of outside in the dark with all the things that creep and crawl. Yes, the toilet is a squatter and it doesn't flush. And I have to shower with buckets of cold water! The great thing is that I am going to probably overcome my fear of bugs/insects. Or I am getting really good at trying to not seem like a squeamish silly foreigner...

I am excited about my time here! I hope I can come up with more ideas for fun games and lessons!

This weekend Wan is taking me to the city so I can get more teaching gear and then we're going to the dinosaur museum! She says she'll also take me to her hometown to visit her family and I hear her mom cooks some delicious Issan food! Everything feels like a dream!

2 comments:

Sarah Ruth said...

I'm so psyched for you and happy that despite an exhausting travel partner you are still loving it. everything sounds great!

Claire said...

this seems so incredible!