6/02/2008

So I FINALLY successfully changed my flight! Life in rural Thailand is great but I am looking forward to being at home. I kind of miss stuff like packaged meat at grocery stores with prices I don't have to bargain. And a big hamburger. The cool thing is that I get to stay the night in Doha, Qatar. But there are no bargain hostels in Doha near the airport! They are all basically $300-700 USD which is not so good for a budget traveler's pockets. With luck, I will find a hotel closer to $100-range and it'll have airport pick up so I don't have to worry about taxis.

P.S. I'm going to Laos this Friday with Alice! AND I'm staying at this hotel built in the 60s. Hunter S. Thompson stayed there. Sweet. It's also only $15. Why can't I have that for Qatar?

2 comments:

Claire said...

wow, i can't believe qatar's soooo expensive!

Sewon said...

"Much of Qatar's oil and natural gas wealth is visible in Doha, which is the economical centre of Qatar. Doha is home to the headquarters of the country's largest oil and gas companies, including Qatar Petroleum, Qatargas and RasGas. Doha's economy is built on the revenue the country has made from its oil and natural gas industries, and the Qatari government is rapidly trying to diversify the Qatari economy in order to move away from this dependence on oil. As a result, Doha is currently experiencing a very large boom, with the city developing very rapidly - this is mostly the result of Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa's modernization program."

AND I think Qatar generally attracts businessmen..