5/26/2008

Today was my first official day of teaching with my own teaching schedule and I am so exhausted. I have 2 or 3 classes per day (with about 30-40 students in each class). I am realizing how unfortunate it is that I will only get to teach any given class twice total before I have to leave. But I don't think I could do as much as 4-5 classes per day..

Today was fun and kind of disastrous. I think I will try to do more constructive games from now on especially with the older students. The teachers didn't really communicate the English levels of their students or describe their needs. They just said, "It's up to you!"

Everyone thinks I am an expert here and trusts me to create complete lesson plans for all 21 classes! But the truth is that I've never actually taught real high school classes before. So I'm reading a lot a lot and I am pretty sure of what to do for tomorrow. I am trying to figure out activities for pair/group work. Thai students are drilled a lot on grammar, to be sure, and I don't need to really focus on that. My focus, I think, is to get them to SPEAK...which is sort of hard because Thai students are so shy! They are so good but they freeze up.

There's just a lot of pressure on me. I am the first foreigner this school has ever invited and they really want to see change in the English education at the school. I hope I at least leave a good impression but I don't quite know all the Thai customs and Thai people are too polite to point out my mistakes!

I kind of want to go shower and take a nap..

1 comment:

Claire said...

did you ever play matamoscas? the teacher writes all the spanish vocab words on an overhead projector sheet and then hands two students flyswatters. she calls out the english word and whichever student swats the correct spanish word first wins! this might not be appropriate for upperlevel classes where speaking is the goal, but this was the ONLY thing that could get my really sullen classmates to get fired up and start participating!

anyway, goodluck with it all!